I created The Shipshape Gamer because I saw a niche in the gaming accessories market that I felt I could really do well in. By nature, I am a very detail oriented person, so I like things "just so"! In creating my first game box organizers and inserts, I had basic criteria that drove my design process:
#1 - It had to look GREAT. I wanted every product to have something beautiful and unique to it. Engravings, art, color, etc. And I wanted the construction to be spot-on. Early on I didn't like smoke damage on laser-cut parts, so I tended to be more focused on designs that allowed me to eliminate smoke entirely. I have since found that many of my customers don't really care about this as much as I do, so I started offering options (like the birch plywood) that could have a little bit of smoke marks. That being said... a products appearance still a critical factor for me!
#2 - It had to be Precision-Built. It seemed to me that most all other solutions out there required glue and I just felt that I could do it in a way that didn't require it. I feel I have achieved that with my process that creates precision laser templates. The process creates patterns that are consistent for each product, but allow me to utilize virtually any material, and in any thickness, while still keeping everything fitting perfectly.
#3 - I wanted to offer lots of options to buyers. Many companies that offer inserts and organizers do their entire product line out of a single material, such as birch plywood. I didn't want to limit myself to just this one material so I now develop products in a variety of materials including:
- Engineered wood called "draftboard"
- Natural ("Raw") Birch plywood
- Beautiful sanded and Sealed Plywoods (Basswood, Walnut, Maple, Cherry, etc)
- Various colors and thicknesses of Acrylic
- Thinner 1/16" Walnut and Cherry plywoods for some selected products.
- Hardwoods such as Walnut, Oak, and Bolivian Rosewood in some specialized applications.
4. I wanted my products to be unique, yet affordably priced. I feel I have accomplished the "unique" aspect, and I am continuing to refine my process to keep them affordable for all!
I love the creative aspects of building gaming accessories. I always put myself in the perspective of the gamer and what they are looking for, aiming to create great products that are affordable. Hopefully I have achieved that!
I am always on the lookout for new products to create. If you have a game that you feel would benefit from a accessory or storage solution from The Shipshape Gamer, then please reach out to me! I love collaborating with my customers!